On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bon voyage


Well, that day – the departure day – is finally here. After two months in preparation, since the kick-off meeting in Deventer, NL, I left Chicago on Monday, March 10, night. The night before, I was busy packing up all the gear and accessories. They were all accumulating in one corner of my bedroom for the last few weeks. With the final purchase of a good size duffle-bag and a back-pack, it was time to cram all the stuff that are supposed to keep me dry, warm and safe for 14 un-interrupted days of guaranteed cold weather. I was amazed how long it took me to pack, as I tried to continuously debate and prioritize the list of items I wanted to bring with me. I think I got all the essentials. Even then I think when I get to Antarctica I will realize that some items I needed I didn’t bring and some items I brought I don’t need. Anyhow, it is too late in the game to change the plans.

My flight plan will take me from Chicago to Buenos Aires, where I will meet up with rest of the expedition team from Akzo Nobel. From there we will fly together another 4 hours to the city of Ushuaia at the south most tip of Argentina. At Ushuaia we will meet up the expedition leaders from 2041 organization. Before we board the ship to make across the dreaded Drake Passage, we all will go through orientation, basic Antarctic safety training, and gear check for two days in Ushuaia. I remember hearing from Robert Swan during the kick-off meeting: “if you hit the water, you are dead” and “if you fall into one of the crevices, the bad news is that they are usually thousands of meters deep and there is no rescue possible.” You bet I will be taking extra notes at the safety training.

At the check-in counter at the airport they gave me some hassle about the odd luggage I had, especially with the collapsible ski poles and the number of lose straps on my back-pack. I was originally planning to take my back-pack as a carry on item in the plane, but they wouldn’t allow that. I ended up checking in my backpack as well, which contained the more valuable and sensitive items like my cameras (yes, more than one of them), laptop, sun glasses (yes, plural again), binoculars, and the absolutely critical sea sickness patches. I was a bit tense as I they put my luggage on the conveyor belt, but hoped for the best as it disappeared around the corner.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Alan,
nice to follow your blog and thanks for your kind mail.
Have a safe drake passage.
Jan