On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Monday, March 17, 2008

On to the dreaded Drake Passage

This could be my last blog for a while. This evening we will be getting on the ship that will be our home for the next few days as we make across the Drake Passage from Ushuaia and on to Bellinghausen station in Antarctica. Crossing the drake passage is the part of the journey that I dread the most, as rough seas and I don’t get along well. The latest forecast that the expedition leaders shared with us indicates good weather for the days we are at sea. I am still holding on tightly to my sea sickness patches.

Through the marvels of modern communication I should be able to blog occasionally. But, our expedition leaders keep reminding us that all plans can change in a second in Antarctica and being part of an expedition means that there are no fixed time tables (but a rough guideline) and constant adaptation to changes is crucial for a successful expedition. Darn it! Not being in full control of my elements, how terrible! What else will I have to suffer?

If you still like to follow the expedition progress – even in the absence of front line reports from this exceptionally talented (and devilishly handsome) writer – you can track our everyday progress at http://www.2041.com/. The expedition is led by Robert Swan and the team leaders from his 2041 organization. They are the ones that organized this entire expedition and pulled together the amazing logistics that went into it. What a well organized and accommodating team they are! They have figured out a way to track our everyday progress via a GPS tracker and live telecasts on their website. However, I hope to keep on blogging daily in recognition of your loyal patronage to my blogs, even though there are just three of you.

1 comment:

Lightrider said...

Hi Alan, I hope you still feeling good and have no problems with see sickness.
It's great for you joining the team and I wish you an inspiring period. I will read your Blog with interest and will keep in touch.
Kind regards, Johan ter Haar