On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Monday, March 10, 2008

Diego Compass, Jenever and a lucky charm – essentials of every Antarctic expedition


Today I think I am ready for Antarctica. I have broken free of my bronchitis, I have my doctor’s consent for the expedition, my gear is ready, and most of my work related issues are squared away. One of the coolest thing happened this week. Few of my colleagues got together and gave me few essentials for my trip, including a Diego compass (it might come in handy if a penguin gets too close) and a flask of Jenever – aged to perfection by KLM airlines. The overall way they got together and sprung the surprise on me; way too cool. I thought I was going into a serious meeting (the only type I ever attend) and when people started pouring into the room, I knew I had been had. In the mix I even got a lucky charm for the trip from my colleague from Mexico. Awesome! That, along with the rest of the surprises I got, are coming along on the coolest ride of my life.

No comments: