On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Knight in shinning red parka


My gear for the Antarctica expedition is almost all complete and ready to go. All together they add up to about 80 pounds, including my boots, emergency kit and the cameras. Last weekend I decided to get suited up in full gear just for the fun of it and just to try out some of the gear. From head to toe, and over three layers of clothing, I ended-up with about 23 pieces of clothing and other protective gear on me. It took me about an hour to put it all together and get out of it all in my first attempt. The heart of the gear includes water proof boots, water proof pants, quick dry long pants and top, multiple layers of additional clothing, water proof gloves, warm hat with extra face coverage, polarized sunglasses with side protection and the never-leave-home-without-it 10 pound parka. The short of it is that, the full set of gear includes everything but a diaper. I kept imagining, with my luck, I will probably need to go to the bathroom just after I don my full armor.

No comments: