On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Friday, March 14, 2008

Cheers, salute, proost!

Soon after I checked in at the airport in Chicago, I walked with a purpose to the nearest duty free shop. In all the things I packed for the expedition, I knew I missed a good bottle of whisky. Despite the remote location I was (we were) going to be in, I am sure there are going to be few moments of celebration that might call for a shot (or two) of whisky between us. I ended up getting a modest sized bottle of Glennfiddich scotch at the duty free shop. Well, the brand is my favorite whisky and it reminded me of my first boss at Akzo Nobel, who is also a casual whisky drinker and whose favorite scotch is also Glennfiddich.

I have heard many times from many different people how important your first boss is to your future career. I have also come to believe that fully in my 10 years of professional life. From day one, he made it clear to me what was needed of me, and then gave me the responsibility and freedom to execute it. In the process, I learned a lot and I did make mistakes. Through it all he made sure we always got the job done and still allowed me the liberty to learn from my mistakes as well. He never held my hands to the fire, and he never left me feeling vulnerable because of mistakes. We accomplished a lot in the short one year I worked with (for) him and he made sure I was recognized for my contributions and efforts. Most importantly, through his management style he instilled in me foundation of confidence and can-do attitude that is rock solid ever since. For that I am so much a better person and a better employee, and for that I am so much in debt to him. I know I will be thinking of him few more times during this expedition. Cheers, salute, proost!

No comments: