On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Sunday, March 9, 2008

My employer

Although I was positive that I wanted to work in Asia I didn't know anybody who was enthusiastic about sending a fresh engineering graduate right out of the university overseas on his first assignment. That was until I came across Akzo Nobel. Ever since, and through my 10 years in the company, I found out that at Akzo Nobel be careful what you wish for; the chances are your wish may come true. On my first assignment I was involved in the construction and start-up of a chemical plant in Indonesia. I found this to be an ideal platform for me to gain valuable engineering, project, and international experience.

From the onset, I was given the flexibility of getting involved in a variety of tasks. Consequently, I was able to diversify my experience and broaden my skill-set at a rapid pace. Today, I work as a regional finance controller of a business group with global reach. Observing my own progress and that of my colleagues within the company, I see tremendous possibilities in Akzo Nobel for anyone who is thrilled by challenges, responsibility and freedom to operate. Every day I look for opportunities that will help me contribute, learn new skills and move on to bigger and better challenges.

1 comment:

Jolanda said...

Hello Alan,
Great to read your adventure & search for sustainability is about to start. You know your colleagues will be looking over your shoulder by means of this website, but please see this as an extra inspiration to grab the most out of this expedition!

Good luck to you and all of your team mates!
regards,
Jolanda Lam