On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Thursday, March 6, 2008

A bit about me

I do not believe in luck, but I have benefited tremendously from being in the right place at the right time. By embracing spontaneity my life up to this point has been a rich spectrum of experiences. I am eager to learn from my experiences and those of others. I am not afraid of making mistakes, but I hate repeating them. I prefer the new and unusual, and like new solutions to old problems. Absence of routine does not traumatize me. I am most comfortable when involved in a wide spectrum of activities. I do not focus on details, unless I see the importance of them in accomplishing my goals. I believe in working hard, playing hard and leading a balanced life (but the last part is so hard to pull off).

I am competitive. I enjoy every land-based sport, except tennis. I will only get into water on a jet ski or out of sheer necessity. Even though I am scared of heights, I sky dive. However, I have sworn-off bungee jumping. I find quiet moments between conversations equally as informing as the conversations themselves. Besides cooking, I enjoy reading biographies, philosophy and occasionally a novel. Music inspires me and I listen to music of all kinds as well as several different languages. And, depending on the people I am with, I could be caught dancing.


As I reflect on my life’s journey that started in a village near the southern tip of India, I can sum it up as a quest to learn, to contribute, and to keep expanding my horizon. Having the ability to see the big picture as well as the small pieces of the puzzle, I have learned to translate my goals and dreams into a series of manageable steps and accomplish them. Whether it takes minutes, months or years, I have learned to persevere and enjoy the journey as much as the accomplishments.

No comments: