On 13. March 2008 I will be embarking, together with 12 of my colleagues, on an expedition to Antarctica, sponsored Akzo Nobel, and led by the famed polar explorer Robert Swan.

This is my story – not only of the expedition and its aftermath, but also of the journey that culminated in this amazing opportunity...

Friday, March 7, 2008

My birthplace

I was born in the South part of India, in a region called Kerala. Kerala is a land of great natural beauty, and rightfully we, Malayalees, claim it as God’s own country. Crowned on the east by high mountains, bordered on the west by the Arabian sea, Kerala boasts some of the most majestic natural beauty in the world. Part of the mosaic of Indian culture, Keralian culture has a flavor all its own. Marked by the language, Malayalam, we Malayalees are a proud bunch. Tempered by centuries of trade and exposure to outside world, the culture is exceptionally welcoming to people of different faiths or ethnicities. No matter where you settle, you will find yourself in the middle of a close-knit community, where children address the lady next door as "aunt", housewives frequently shares recipes and neighbors are extensions of the immediate family.

In our society education is a strict measure of an individual’s achievement, while humility, hard work and community service is extolled. Elders, such as parents, teachers and priests are afforded the greatest respect amongst us. Once splintered by the caste system, today’s Kerala is one of the most communally tranquil areas of India. It is not uncommon to find a Hindu temple, a church and a mosque near to each other. The many fairs and festivals that come with this religious harmony form an integral part of our heritage and my early childhood. In this land of mystic beauty, ethnic harmony, rich heritage and gracious hospitality, one can always find themselves enchanted, welcomed and engaged. When visiting a Malayalee home, even if unannounced, a feast is, at most, an hour away. True to the legendary spice tradition, the staples of rice and side dishes will entice the taste buds, and occasionally the tear buds.

3 comments:

Dolores said...

Alan - I am a Lehigh staffer (and an alum), and saw your story on Lehigh's home page. You are to be commended for your spirit of adventure and your willingness to work hard to benefit our world.
I am sure your journey will be an inspiration to others who dream big--and act on those dreams.

dportlu said...

Thanks for the Alan Alex information. After reading of the drinkers in Beta Theta Piin the B&W it is uplifting to read about Alan and his expedition.

In cruising through the links associated with the expedition I ran across Burgerville, a sustainable "fast food" restaurent in the Northwest. I would like to see the Amish farmland protected as sustainable farming rather than Philadelphia suburbs.

Have there been any marketing or other types of initiatives at Lehigh relating to sustainable production of food or other products?

Here in Atlanta, GA I am able to obtain grass fed beef at a premium. It is pricey but at my age I can afford to (and should) trade quantity for quality.

dportlu said...

OOPS.

I lost the comment for this post and pasted my comment to LU by mistake. Here is what I meant to send.

Alan,

Thanks for telling us about "my birthplace" It was uplifting to read about it and it also serves as an example of what family and community life should be.

I hope you enjoy your Antarctic adventure and continue to consider sustainability as you continue your professional career.